Protection for Mon Repos Turtles Extended

Lauren Bath

Protection for Mon Repos Turtles Extended

The marine turtle population in Mon Repos Regional Park, south of Burnett Heads, protection to continue

Posted on 03.04.2018

Eastern Australia’s largest marine turtle population in Mon Repos Regional Park, south of Burnett Heads, will continue to be protected after the Queensland Government and Bundaberg Regional Council joined to restrain new urban development in the area.

Minister for State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning Cameron Dick said the two-year extension of the existing Temporary Local Planning Instrument (TLPI) will ensure loggerhead, flatback and green turtles remain protected while Council progresses changes to its planning scheme.

“Conserving the largest turtle rookery in the South Pacific also protects a significant ecotourism destination, which is very important for the local economy,” Mr Dick said.

“Urban development, particularly artificial lighting, has had a substantial impact on all turtle species.

“Artificial lighting can leave turtles disoriented, leading them towards dangerous roads and predators rather than their natural path to the ocean.

“Turtle hatchlings have a very low survival rate as it is, with only one in 100 reaching maturity, so it is critical we reduce this kind of human interference.”

Minister for Environment Leeanne Enoch said Mon Repos had the most significant loggerhead nesting population in the South Pacific region.

“The success of nesting and hatching turtles is critical for the survival of the endangered loggerhead turtle, which is why it is important to put protections in place for these beautiful creatures,” Ms Enoch said.

Ms Enoch said the Queensland Government had committed more than $16 million in funding to redevelop the Mon Repos Turtle Centre, strengthening the park as a year-round tourist destination.

“The two-year extension of the existing Temporary Local Planning Instrument (TLPI) supports our Government’s commitment to Mon Repos,” Ms Enoch said.

“Earlier this year the Palaszczuk Government committed to an extra $3.75 million funding to strengthen the position of Mon Repos Conservation Park. This was on top of our $12.4 million first stage commitment to redevelop the existing Turtle Centre.”

Bundaberg Regional Council Mayor Jack Dempsey said council had invested significant resources and capital into ensuring the local turtle population was afforded the best protection possible.

“This partnership between Council and the State Government in extending the TLPI is great news for our turtles,” Mr Dempsey said.

The TLPI strengthens development controls over 11 large residential lots within the Burnett Heads area through limiting new residential subdivision and raising the design standards on new dwelling houses, including domestic lighting features.

“The scheme amendment is anticipated to facilitate future residential development within the Burnett Heads area, while including additional provisions to provide protection for Mon Repos Regional Park,” Mr Dick said.

“Both department and council have been proactively working with a range of other stakeholders through the Mon Repos Technical Working Group to help address long-term planning solutions to the impacts on turtle breeding at the Mon Repos Regional Park.”

The Queensland Government has committed more than $16 million in funding to redevelop the Mon Repos Turtle Centre, strengthening the park as a year-round tourist destination.

More information on Temporary Local Planning Instruments can be found here.

 

Source
Media Statement
Minister for State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning
The Honourable Cameron Dick

 

See also
If its High Tide: WAIT

On Good Friday, dozens of motorists were caught out by a monster high tide and drove up onto the sand dunes at Teewah Beach at Double Point Island to avoid being washed away.

The problem is, the dunes are homes to turtle nests and residents are furious that delicate loggerhead turtle nests might have been crushed.

Social media went viral on the weekend after photos of congregating campers were posted with local residents expressing outrage that visitors to our region should act in such a cavalier way in their heavy vehicles.

Source: Noosa News

 

Share

LikeFollow

Have a story to tell or news to share?

Let us know by Submitting a News Story

Discover Queensland

Explore all of Queensland’s adventures.

Start Exploring

What's On

Apr

20

South Queensland Caravan, Camping, Boating & Fishing Expo

Get Ready to Explore the Great Outdoors
Read more

Apr

28

Sport Lead Course

The knowledge and skills to climb a route on-sight, from the ground up, then get back down, safely.
Read more

Apr

28

Flatwater Guide and Instructor Assessment

A full day assessment for the Australian Canoeing Flatwater Guide and Instructor Awards
Read more

Latest News

Is 'Green Living' a Luxury?

Is 'green living' a luxury affordable only to the middle and upper classes?

Read more
Queensland clubs Get Going for gold

Round 7 of Get Going Clubs funding opens April 23

Read more
'Ignorance not an excuse'

What drivers need to consider before packing the car

Read more

Become a member

QORF welcomes applications for new Community and Green Circle Members from organisations and individuals involved in the outdoors

Learn More