COVID Safe Plans
Back to COVID-19: News and Updates
QORF/Outdoors Queensland has been working closely with representatives of the Queensland outdoor sector and the State Government to develop two new COVID Safe Plans that will provide guidance for outdoor organisations on their road back to operation post the pandemic.
The purpose of these COVID Safe Plans are to help the Queensland outdoor sector show the health authorities and the community that they operate sufficiently safely and can service more participants/customers than the baseline restrictions at each stage in Queensland’s Roadmap to Easing Restrictions (the Roadmap).
The plans are accessible for all organisations in Queensland outdoor sector to consider (regardless of membership of an industry peak body such as QORF). Each organisation can choose whether or not to opt-in to a COVID Safe Plan. If an organisation chooses not to opt-in, it can continue to operate under the conditions of the applicable stage of the Roadmap and as per the relevant Chief Health Officer public health directions.
While the two plans, one for Outdoor Recreation Activity Providers and the other for Outdoor Education Providers are designed for specific user groups, they do not provide the complete solution for either group. For example, activity providers may also need to refer to the Queensland Tourism and Accommodation plan, while outdoor educators may need to refer to the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) Campgrounds plan.
COVID Safe Plan for Outdoor Recreation Activity Providers
This COVID SAFE Plan has been developed for Queensland Outdoor Recreation Activity Providers (including event organisers), who deliver organised outdoor activities to groups of participants.
Excerpts from the introduction: Purpose
Outdoor Recreation Activity Providers range from community groups like Scouts Queensland and Girl Guides Queensland, businesses like surf schools, paddling skills coaches and outdoor leaders, clubs like mountain bike clubs and bushwalking clubs, through to educational institutions that take students into the outdoors to learn.
Please note, some elements of this COVID SAFE Plan apply to Queensland Outdoor Education Providers in relation to how organised outdoor activities are delivered. In addition, a separate COVID SAFE Plan has been prepared for Queensland Outdoor Education Providers (see below), due to a range of different factors that need to be considered in the delivery of outdoor education programs.
Click button to read / download:
COVID Safe Plan for Outdoor Education Providers
This COVID SAFE Plan has been developed for Queensland Outdoor Education Providers (commonly referred to as school camp operators).
Excerpts from the introduction: Purpose
The outdoor education activity covered by this COVID SAFE Plan is primarily accommodation (sleeping arrangements, dining and bathroom facilities) for groups of school-aged children with attendant adults, such as teachers. In the outdoor education context, accommodation could be in rooms at an outdoor education centre or it could be in tents in a bushland setting.
It is important to note that there is a consistent interaction between other approved industry COVID safe plans and this plan. If there are multiple activities being undertaken at a venue (for example – dining, sports, fitness or recreational), several approved industry plans may apply.
Where there is clear separation between the activities (e.g. dining and sport) the conditions of that relevant plan may apply to the relevant area. Therefore, this plan will reference other industry plans and the need to take a consistent approach with those plans where applicable.
Click button to read / download: (available when revisions have been completed)
Are camps and excursions able to proceed?
School camps and excursions are permitted to locations or businesses that have an approved COVID Safe Industry Plan or to Department of Education Outdoor and Environmental Education Centres.
For overnight camps, a business will be expected to have a facility-specific, risk assessment and mitigation process in place to manage the risks posed by COVID-19. Mitigation factors may include:
- reducing attendance
- revising sleeping arrangements
- minimising the use of shared bathrooms
- staggering dining times
- maintaining physical distancing of adults
- adhering to effective hygiene measures and cough / sneeze etiquette
- implementing frequent cleaning of high touch surfaces such as door handles and light switches.
Principals may approve a camp or excursion to a location or business not covered by an approved COVID Safe Industry Plan, as long as all departmental and Chief Health Officer’s requirements such as physical distancing and cleaning and hygiene measures are adhered to.
Organisations will need to modify their operational plans to show how within their operating environments they will achieve compliance with the protocols in the industry plan. QORF/Outdoors Queensland will assist with implementation of the plan, but each organisation is regarded as the expert in their own operating environment.
Any organisation undertaking activity in accordance with an industry plan must print, sign and display a Statement of Compliance.
More events can be held from Stage 3 guided by a new addition to the COVID Safe Framework, the Industry Framework for COVID Safe Events.
This Framework sets out key public health principles and event-specific public health strategies that will limit the transmission of COVID-19 at events, help event organisers operate safely and is applicable for all events.
Please note the following amendments (July 8, 2020)
- Events organised and run by sport, fitness or active recreation organisations/ providers complying with an approved COVID Safe Plan do not require additional approval outlined in the Industry Framework for Events. However, organisations and providers should also review and consider the Key Public Health Principles and Event Specific Public Health Strategies set out in the Industry Framework for Events.
- More information on the relevant approvals can be found in the following Factsheet: “ORGANISING AN EVENT: ADVICE FOR EVENT ORGANISERS HAVING THE APPROPRIATE DOCUMENTATION AND APPROVALS IN PLACE.
- The definition of “field of play” has been extended to incorporate the use of change rooms by active participants, allowing the full team and required coaching / medical officials without the occupant density requirements.
The Framework does not alter the existing approval arrangements that apply to events. As an event organiser, you are still required to obtain the relevant approvals/permits from the venue/land owner, local council and/or Queensland Police Service.
- Fewer than 500 people – no Queensland Health approval needed when following a COVID Safe Event Checklist
- 500 to 10,000 people – need a COVID Safe Event Plan approved by local Public Health units
- Over 10,000 people – need a COVID Safe Event Plan approved by the Queensland Chief Health Officer
For more info, go to/download:
- COVID Safe Businesses (scroll down to Industry Framework for COVID Safe Events)
- Industry Framework for COVID Safe Events in Queensland
- Read and review the COVID Safe Plan(s) appropriate for your organisation – it may be necessary for some outdoor activity providers to also review the Queensland Tourism and Accommodation Plan and/or the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) Campgrounds Plan.
- Develop your own COVID Safe Operational Plan based on the appropriate COVID Safe Plan(s).
- Train your staff in how to work within your new COVID Safe Operational Plan.
- Update/inform your contractors and suppliers regarding your COVID Safe Operational Plan.
- Share your COVID Safe Operational Plan with the land/ water managers of the outdoor spaces you access (if appropriate).
- Update/inform your insurer regarding your COVID Safe Operational Plan.
- Complete and display a Statement of Compliance to demonstrate you are operating as a COVID Safe Business.
- If you need help understanding the COVID Safe Plan(s) please email staff at the Queensland Government Sport & Recreation Centres on SR_Covid19@npsr.qld.gov.au.
- If you would like your new COVID Safe Operational Plan assessed against the COVID Safe Plans for Outdoor Recreation Activity Providers or Outdoor Education Providers, consider engaging a consultant to do an external assessment. The following QORF members have indicated that they are willing to assist (if any other consultants would like to be added to this list, please contact us):
- It is not necessary to lodge your COVID Safe Operational Plan with QORF/Outdoors Queensland or any government agency for approval.
It is recommended that your COVID Safe Operational Plan is well considered, well laid out and that you are able to justify your choices and actions if necessary
- A Provider can choose not to opt-in to a COVID Safe Plan. However it can only it continue to operate under the more limited conditions of the applicable stage of the Roadmap and as per the relevant Chief Health Officer public health directions.
As further discussion on the implementation of COVID Safe Plans will be included in our weekly Coffee & Conversation online chats we encourage organisations to register and join us every Friday morning at 11.00 am. Click link below for more info and registration
Please go to Resources & Support if you have any questions or need further support from Sport & Recreation. This page will be updated regularly with answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), fact sheets and links.
Submit your questions to SR_Covid19@npsr.qld.gov.au
The information on this page has been taken from credible sources and is shared with the best of intentions. While we have have done our best to provide the most up to date information, we cannot take responsibility for any person or organisation suffering as a result of using the information shared on this page. It is the responsibility of all organisations to do their research, to comply with all relevant legislation and to be aware of current government advice.