First Aid: Draft 1 Consultation Open
Skills IQ reviewing skill needs for people who provide First Aid
Posted on 09.08.2019
SkillsIQ, at the direction of the First Aid Industry Reference Committee, has embarked upon a project to review skills needs for people who provide First Aid. This will inform potential changes in current First Aid Units to ensure skills training is in line with workforce needs and expectations.
The HLTAID First Aid Competency Standards were developed to provide a set of robust, industry-supported standards for people providing First Aid to others.
In these instances, the Statement of Attainment provides evidence to the employer and the community that the worker has the skills and knowledge to be able to provide a First Aid response and sustain life in the event of an emergency.
A widespread multi-channel consultation involving a broad range of stakeholders was conducted to identify and validate the exact nature of the skills needs in the industry and the respective Training Package Product update requirements.
As a result, industry has identified four key drivers for change in the First Aid Training Package Products, as follows:
- Changes in industry best practice
- Diversity in the scope and breadth of First Aid
- An increase in clarity and uniformity in the content of the Units of Competency wherever possible
- Increased recognition of the role of mental health support in the provision of First Aid.
Consequently, the First Aid IRC has proposed changes which will involve:
- A review of the current Units of Competency to reflect industry best practice and current regulation
- A review of the current Units of Competency to ensure their scope and breadth are reflective of industry expectations
- Consideration of the skills requirements in specific areas, such as asthma and anaphylaxis.
- Consideration of the need for additional criteria to address First Aid in relation to mental health.
A widespread multi-channel consultation involving a broad range of stakeholders is now being conducted to address concerns raised in previous consultations and discussions around the First Aid Units and their content.
Consultation of Draft 1 commenced on Wednesday, 07 August and will close at 5.00pm on Friday, 20 September 2019.
Please click here to access Draft 1 documents, including a Consultation Guide.
SkillsIQ will be undertaking a number of webinars and workshops to engage industry stakeholders. To register for a webinar and/or workshop, please click here.
For more information, please contact Gary Dunshea on (02) 9392 8100 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a story to tell or news to share?
Let us know by Submitting a News Story