Toowoomba Active Recreation Plan
Sport, Active Recreation and Healthy Living Plan 2019-26
Posted on 26.03.2019
We believe that everyone in the Toowoomba Region should have an opportunity to participate in sport and active recreation (walking, cycling, exercise / fitness) and live a healthy life.
We’re developing a Sport, Active Recreation and Healthy Living (SARHL) Plan 2019-26 to identify and deliver policies, places and programs to support sport, active recreation and healthy living across the Toowoomba Region.
The Plan will help create healthier, more active communities by encouraging more people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities to be active, eat well and live well.
Key components of the plan include:
- Community needs assessment and trends (surveys, informant interviews, focus groups, community workshops, demographics, population, health and participation data, research, etc)
- Sport – current and future provision (land, facilities and infrastructure), optimising use of sports facilities, tennis project, regional skate/scooter/bike project, velodrome project, management of sports facilities, sport and recreation grants review
- Nature-based recreation – current state of play, measuring / tracking participation, promoting sites (and stories) of Indigenous cultural significance, managing safe multi-purpose use, tenure and volunteer groups, balancing environmental and recreational needs, 5 x bushland park site assessments, rock-climbing, bouldering and abseiling project
- Healthy and active communities – programs and partnerships, The CHANGE Project, programs and services gap analysis, partnership opportunities, healthy communities network / alliance; Policy and environment – best practice, evidence-based actions, policy gap analysis, healthy and activity community indicators, community assessments and summaries
- Recommendations and action plan
Project Stages (Timeframes)
Stage 1 – Background Research (February 2019 to April 2019)
Stage 2 – Assessment of Current Supply (February 2019 to April 2019)
Stage 3 – Engagement (March 2019 to May 2019)
Stage 4 – Analysis (May 2019 to June 2019)
Stage 5 – Preliminary Directions Framework (first draft) / Policy & Engagement (June 2019 to July 2019)
Stage 6 – Reporting (second draft) & Engagement (August 2019 to October 2019)
Stage 7 – Reporting (final plan) (November 2019)
Sport, active recreation and healthy living survey
This survey has now closed. Prizes will be drawn later this month so please stay tuned!
Survey feedback will be used to guide the development of a draft Sport, Active Recreation and Healthy Living Plan for the Toowoomba Region. You’ll have an opportunity to comment on the draft plan in mid-2019.
Source: Toowoomba Regional Council
Have a story to tell or news to share?
Let us know by Submitting a News Story