Toowoomba Active Recreation Plan
Sport, Active Recreation and Healthy Living Plan 2019-26
Posted on 10.10.2019
We believe that everyone in the Toowoomba Region should have an opportunity to participate in sport and active recreation (walking, cycling, exercise / fitness) and live a healthy life.
We’re developing a Sport, Active Recreation and Healthy Living (SARHL) Plan 2019-26 to identify and deliver policies, places and programs to support sport, active recreation and healthy living across the Toowoomba Region.
The Plan will help create healthier, more active communities by encouraging more people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities to be active, eat well and live well.
- Community needs assessment and trends (surveys, informant interviews, focus groups, community workshops, demographics, population, health and participation data, research, etc)
- Sport – current and future provision (land, facilities and infrastructure), optimising use of sports facilities, tennis project, regional skate/scooter/bike project, velodrome project, management of sports facilities, sport and recreation grants review
- Nature-based recreation – current state of play, measuring / tracking participation, promoting sites (and stories) of Indigenous cultural significance, managing safe multi-purpose use, tenure and volunteer groups, balancing environmental and recreational needs, 5 x bushland park site assessments, rock-climbing, bouldering and abseiling project
- Healthy and active communities – programs and partnerships, The CHANGE Project, programs and services gap analysis, partnership opportunities, healthy communities network / alliance; Policy and environment – best practice, evidence-based actions, policy gap analysis, healthy and activity community indicators, community assessments and summaries
- Recommendations and action plan
Have your say on the draft plan
Click to download: Draft Toowoomba Region Sport, Active Recreation and Healthy Living Plan.
You can have your say on the draft plan until 5pm on Friday 25 October by:
- completing an online survey
- completing a hard copy survey. Surveys are available from customer service centres. Completed surveys can be posted to Stakeholder Engagement, Toowoomba Regional Council, PO Box 3021, TOOWOOMBA, QLD, 4350 or returned to a customer service centre
- attending a workshop on Thursday 10 October from 4-6pm at the Toowoomba City Library in Herries Street. Register online or call 131 872.
- phoning Council on 131 872 to provide feedback to the project team or request a meeting
Thank you to everyone who provided input into the SARHL Plan by completing a survey or attending a workshop, focus group or meeting. We appreciate you taking the time to share your vision for a healthy and active Toowoomba Region. Community feedback will be used to guide the development of the final plan presented to Council for endorsement from late 2019.
The Queensland Government provided $60,000 to Toowoomba Regional Council to develop the Sport, Active Recreation and Healthy Living (SARHL) Plan 2019-26 to enable Queenslanders to participate in sport and recreation activities.
For more information about the Sport, Active Recreation and Healthy Living (SARHL) Plan or consultation opportunities please go to yoursay.tr.qld.gov.au/sarhl, call Council on 131 872 or email email@example.com.
Source: Toowoomba Regional Council
Have a story to tell or news to share?
Let us know by Submitting a News Story