Wanting to make a career in the outdoors?
Looking for work?
Are you looking for a job in the outdoors? You will find what you need here, with listings of outdoor jobs and volunteering opportunities available in Queensland, LINKS to Australian and international outdoor job opportunities and useful information relevant to gaining work in the outdoor industry.
QORF is proud to display jobs on offer by our Green Circle Members and gratefully acknowledges the more comprehensive job listing service provided by COOEEads, a long time supporter, and the best place to go when looking for a job in the outdoors!
Click to Submit Your Job Available Advertisement
Please include your logo and a closing date.
COOEEads – a job information and advertising service for people looking for work in the outdoors:
COOEEads’ is a weekly email listing jobs, consultancies, tenders, scholarships and grants in the fields of outdoor / environmental education, interpretive communication and park management in Australia (and New Zealand).
SUBSCRIBE to ‘COOEEads’ – the free weekly listing of all current vacancies
Volunteer Branch Advisers
Adventurous Activities Team
(Inserted: September 20, 2017)
The Adventurous Activities Team attached to the Queensland Branch has recently been restructured and several new Volunteer Branch Adviser roles have been created. These all report directly to the Branch Commissioner (Adventurous Activities).
As a result Expressions of Interest are called for from suitably qualified people to apply for the following positions.
– Branch Adviser (Aquatic)
– Branch Adviser (Boating)
– Branch Adviser (Cycling)
Applicants must apply in writing (with cover letter and relevant qualifications) no later than close of business on October 30, 2017, to Linn Pihl in the Chief Commissioner’s Office by emailing email@example.com.
Duty Statements outlining the requirements for each of the Volunteer Branch Adviser roles are available by request from Linn.
Please note that applicants external to the Scouting Movement will need to join and become members if successful.
Closes October 30, 2017
Outdoor Education Instructor
(Inserted: September 20, 2017)
“Chaverim” OEC is looking for a suitably qualified outdoor instructor to start in late January 2018. The position is a six month contract – term time and may be extended. Salary is based on the Catholic Education Office, Rockhampton Diocese – ‘School Officer’ Level 4 rates.
Chaverim is an Outdoor Education Centre owned and operated by Shalom College and is located 25km SW of Bundaberg on the Burnett River. Shalom College is a Catholic co-ed secondary school that is part of the Rockhampton Diocese Catholic Education Office. All camp programs are ‘centre based’ and are provided to a variety of school aged students from Shalom College and other schools and various organisations from the Wide Bay and Central Queensland region.
Applicants should have a working with children ‘blue card’, current first aid certificate, qualifications in canoeing, ropes courses, rock climbing and group management. Experience working independently with groups in outdoor education or outdoor recreation programs is preferred.
Specific position responsibilities include the supervision of small groups through all activities in a camp program, the logistical management of activity sites and equipment and assist with program development and evaluation. A manual driver’s license is preferred but not essential.
Short term on-site staff accommodation is available if required.
Applications should be addressed to The Director, Chaverim OEC – firstname.lastname@example.org and include a letter of application, resume and contact details for three referees. At least one referee to substantiate professional experience in an instructor’s role.
Applications close: Monday, 9 October 2017.
Outdoor Recreation Teacher
St James College
Spring Hill, Brisbane, QLD
(Inserted: 18 September, 2017)
Part-time (0.8) contract position for 2018
Applications are sought from suitably qualified and experienced teachers for this part-time Contract position for 2018. There is a possibility that the position may become on-going in 2019.
St James College is a Catholic Co-educational Secondary School in the Edmund Rice Tradition with a current enrolment of 430 students in Years 7 – 12. All applicants are subject to Edmund Rice Education Australia screening procedures for working in Catholic Schools in the Edmund Rice Tradition.
It is essential for this position that prospective applicants have a currency in outdoor recreation qualifications including but not limited to canoeing, climbing, lifesaving, wilderness first aid certification and be a holder of a current driver’s licence (LR). The preferred candidate will also hold a current Cert IV – Trainer and Assessor qualification.
A letter of application together with full resume including the names of three referees should be sent to:
Mrs Naomi Ritchie
St James College
201 Boundary Street
BRISBANE QLD 4000
or emailed to: email@example.com
Applications close: Tuesday, 3 October 2017.
Outdoor Education Professionals
The Outdoor Education Group
Eildon, VIC & Moss Vale, NSW
REAL WORLD. REAL JOBS.
We believe that nothing prepares kids for real life like the real world. And that bumps to the body and bruises to the ego early on in life make them stronger and harder to break later.
As Australia’s most established outdoor education provider, we’ve not just got years of experience; we’re prepared for everything the future’s yet to bring.
We employ 200+ staff. Some full-time. Others seasonal. Many under roofs. Many more in the open air. All committed to creating an inclusive, progressive, and supportive workplace. Wherever in Australia that may be.
We offer real careers. And provide real opportunities. To live, learn, and earn in the real world.
As an Outdoor Educator, you will give kids the desire to overcome difficulties. Lessons and learnings with long-term benefits. A taste for toughing it out. And a better understanding of both themselves, and their place in the world around them.
Two years’ experience in outdoor education or related field desirable, one year for Camps- based staff with recognised competency and logged experience in one or more of the following activities: abseiling, climbing, canoeing, bush walking, high and low ropes, rafting, sea kayaking and ski touring.
Apply now for our January 2018 intake
Applications should include:
- Covering Letter
- Resume, Logbook and two current contactable work references
For further information please contact our Careers Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All employees of The Outdoor Education Group are required to hold a current Working with Children Check and Australian Federal Police Check. Please include a copy in your application, or note your willingness and ability to obtain these checks to meet our requirements.
Applications close when suitable candidates found.
Outdoor Education Manager of Program Coordination and Product Development
(Inserted: September 13, 2017)
The Higherground Group Pty Ltd (Higher Ground) is seeking a full time Manager of Program Coordination and Product Development (MPC). In this role you will be responsible for the efficient and cost effective design and pre delivery coordination of all domestic centre based programs. The MPC will create and innovate all domestic residential programs in line with Higher Ground’s three core programming objectives to an international standard of excellence.
Higher Ground has over twenty (20) years’ experience delivering experiential learning through outdoor activities and internationally recognized as a leader in our industry. At Higher Ground, we are passionate about Experiential Learning and committed to “creating the freedom to experience and learn”.
The Manager of Program Coordination and Product Development role with Higher Ground will include the following elements:
Program/Project Management | Staff Qualification and Rostering | People Management and Mentoring | Program Design | Risk Management | Budget Management | Customer Liaison | Logistics Planning & Management |
The successful candidate will need to be extremely organised; have an ability to learn quickly; be efficient, diligent and possess superior communication and influence skills; have a keen eye for detail; and deliver successful outcomes in a fluid environment.
A demonstration of the following Mandatory Selection Criteria will be required:
- Work from our Office in the Mary Valley, Queensland and positively contribute to our organisation culture
- Maintain a current Blue Card working with children check, CPR and First Aid qualification for the period of your employment.
- Possess appropriate and relevant outdoor education qualifications, with a minimum Cert IV or equivalent
- A successful track-record in a multi-faceted program management role – 5+ years;
- Professionally well-presented with strong communication and influencing skills;
- Highly developed interpersonal and time management skills to cope with tight deadlines
- A proven track record in delivering programs/projects to budget and timeframes
- An ability to think creatively, take initiative, and deliver successful outcomes and delivery improvements
- Someone who believes in what we do and wants to build their career with us.
The following are highly desired skills and experience/s:
- Computer literate with experience in the Microsoft Office productivity tools
- A diverse background and can offer ‘life’ experience across our broader team.
If you think this opportunity is right for you please email a copy of your resume along with a covering letter to email@example.com
Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications close when a suitable candidate is found.
Outdoor Education Instructor
Mt Binga Outdoor Education Centre
via Blackbutt, QLD
(Inserted; September 13, 2017)
Mt Binga Outdoor Education Centre is owned and operated by Immanuel Lutheran College. It specialises in month long residential programs for groups in Years 9 and 10. Programs include high ropes, horse riding, archery, farm activities, hiking and camping, along with many other activities.
The main goal of the outdoor education program is that students experience community living and grow in their own self-sufficiency and confidence in who they are.
Mt Binga’s Values are that all participants will:
- Show Initiative
- Challenge Themselves
- Take Responsibility
- Respect Our Environment
- Have Gratitude
- Engage in Community
Suitably qualified instructors are invited to apply for the following:
Outdoor Education Instructor
1.0 FTE Contract
2018 Contract Period: 8 January – 14 December
(With the possibility of long term contracts beyond 2018)
- Applicants must be able to live and work within the Christian ethos of the College
- Cert III or Cert IV in Outdoor Recreation
- OR long term experience with horse management and care and animal husbandry, in a farm setting.
- Background in working with youth in a pastoral care/counselling role or equivalent Outdoor Education role would be highly regarded.
- Ability to recognise potential risks and emergency situations in outdoor activities and a rural setting, and coordinate responses where required.
- Hold current Senior First Aid certificate (Wilderness/Remote Area First Aid qualification will be considered favourably)
About Working at Mt Binga:
The Centre is a former logging camp and has been an Outdoor Education Centre since 1982.
Mt Binga is a small community of staff that live on site in modern accommodation. The closest country town is Blackbutt (24kms), with the closest city being Toowoomba (76km). You can expect to live a farm lifestyle, with some modern conveniences.
Further information including position descriptions are available at the website listed below.
Electronic applications including the names of three current referees, and addressing the Selection Criteria as outlined in the Job and Person Specification to:
Immanuel Lutheran College
PO Box 5025, Maroochydore BC QLD 4558
Applications close 4pm, Tuesday 3 October 2017.
Outdoor Education Teacher
The Rockhampton Grammar School
(Inserted: August 29, 2017)
Full-time position commencing mid-Jan 2018
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The Outdoor Education Teacher will be responsible for the facilitation and planning/co-planning of a contemporary and dynamic Outdoor Education, Certificate II Outdoor Recreation, Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme along with other programming. These programmes occur at both The Rockhampton Grammar Schools (RGS) main campus as well as at Ritamada, the schools Outdoor Education Campus near Emu Park on the Capricorn Coast.
As a staff member of RGS, the Outdoor Education Teacher will uphold the values and educational standards of the school and work to support the school motto: ‘Macte Virtute Et Litteris’, ‘To grow in character and scholarship’. The Outdoor Education Teacher will provide support to the Director of Outdoor Education to facilitate all aspects of the Outdoor Education programme
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in development of Outdoor Education, Certificate II Outdoor Recreation and Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme programmes
- Lead and co-lead activity sessions, camp programmes and extended camps
- Lead and co-lead theoretical, practical day classes, day expeditions and extended expeditions in the Cert. II Outdoor Recreation programme
- Assess the academic and practical skill progress of Cert II participants and keep records
- Help develop coursing materials if needed
- Assist in the effective running of the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme
- Daily planning toward short, medium and long term goal attainment
- Facilitate specific activities to industry common practice and Risk Management standards
- Take direction from and report to the Director of Outdoor Education
- Uphold and maintain risk management and standard operating procedures
- Organise logistical components of programmes
- Administrate programmes and communications to a high level
- Keep diary notes of programme progress
- Assist in visiting school classes for programme preparation
- Liaise with school students and staff to ensure their integral involvement and readiness in the outdoor programme
- Participate in regular skills development, maintenance and scenario training
- Assist in maintaining outdoor education equipment and storage shed
- Drive school vehicles and buses with utmost care and consideration with regard to school policy on vehicles
- Assist in the delivery of an exciting, safe, organised and effective Outdoor Education programme
- Assist in the delivery of an exciting safe, organised and effective Certificate II Outdoor Recreation and Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme
- Ensure all aspects of work are done to a high standard of safety in accordance with industry common practice risk management
- Maintain safe and healthy work practices in line with Workplace Health and Safety Policy
- Comply with all School policies and procedures
- Display positive interpersonal skills needed for the delivery of quality service with a particular emphasis on communication and teamwork
- Ensuring all work documents are kept in a confidential manner
- Attend school functions as required.
Relevant Qualifications and Experience
- Current Teacher Registration
- Driver’s Licence
- Driver Authority Licence for LR desirable (Coaster/Rosa style buses)
- Current Wilderness or Remote Area First Aid Certification
- Certificate IV in Outdoor Recreation desirable with relevant specialisations and/or relevant outdoor leadership and activity skills and experience (listed below)
- Cert IV in Workplace Assessor desirable.
- Use technology to facilitate work requirements.
Relevant and Desirable Outdoor Leadership and Activity Skills
- Canoeing on flat water
- Kayaking on flat water
- Sea Kayaking inshore
- Abseil natural and artificial surfaces/structures
- Climbing natural and artificial surfaces/structures
- High and low ropes
- Campsite management
- Minimal impact
- Staff & student management & facilitation
- Driving 4WD
- Record keeping for results/assessment and petty cash
- Logistical organisation
- Expedition skills in group/staff management.
Due to the particular spacing and clustering of programs in collaboration with the school calendar and seasonal weather patterns, work will often occur outside of standard school hours and involve a residential supervision component as part of delivering a safe and effective program.
For further information contact:
Director of Outdoor Education
The Rockhampton Grammar School
0438 118 220
To apply, please submit your application, including a copy of your Curriculum Vitae with relevant qualifications and training to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close when suitable candidate is found.
Outdoor Education Team Leader
Googa Outdoor Education Centre
(Inserted: August 24, 2017)
Googa Outdoor Education Centre is owned by Grace Lutheran College, Grace Primary School & Good Shepherd Lutheran College. It is part of the ministry of the Lutheran Church of Australia.
An opportunity exists for an enthusiastic person to be involved in a Christian community providing four week outdoor education programs in the Lutheran Education System. The full-time position involves leading a team of 3-4 instructors in the delivery of the program. General job responsibilities for all instructors include supervising and facilitating 14-15 year old students through activities such as initiative games and team building, hiking and camping, high adventure activities, daily job routines and creating a sustainable community living environment.
Applicants need to be self motivated team players, willing to work rostered weekends, nights and public holidays. Experience in teaching, outdoor education or youth work is essential. Applicants interested in this unique environment of outdoor education are invited to observe a program.
There is an opportunity to start as a regular instructor at the beginning of October, 2017. The team leader position will begin on the 2nd January 2018.
(Salary based on Lutheran Education Queensland Outdoor Education Enterprise Bargaining Agreement)
Further information can be gained by calling (07) 4163 0266 or emailing: email@example.com.
Applications should be in writing including cover letter, resume and three references addressed to:
Googa OEC, M/S 2161
Blackbutt QLD 4306
or emailed to the above email address.
Applications close: Friday, 29th September 2017.
Maroon Dam, South East QLD
(Inserted: July 24, 2017)
Casual/Full time contract positions available
Camp Kokoda is a unique not-for-profit organisation that is one of the many sectors of the Kokoda Youth Foundation. Clients include primary, secondary and university students as well as various community groups. Camp Kokoda is located at Maroon Dam and is around 100km south west of Brisbane and the Gold coast.
Programs are usually 3-5 day journey-based expeditions, designed to achieve meaningful outcomes focusing on the development of the individual, the group and fostering their relationship with the natural environment.
We are seeking new Staff members to join our exciting team, who have a passion for developing the potential in people, who have a love for environment, an enthusiastic commitment to the outdoor education industry, and a desire to make a difference, whilst having fun!
- Desirable: tertiary qualifications or experience in leisure, outdoor education, education, human movement, childhood development, social work, youth work or psychology
- Minimum qualifications or equivalent experience, of Certificate 3 or 4 in Outdoor Recreation
- (covering abseiling, ropes courses, Bushwalking, flat-water canoeing and vertical rescue)
- Demonstrated willingness to support young people with their journey into Adulthood as well as strong advocacy for the environment
- Love for the nature and an enthusiasm to share this with young people of tomorrow
- Current Wilderness or Remote Area First Aid
- Manual Driver’s License
- Ability to obtain Commission for Children & Young People – Suitability ‘Blue Card’
For further information please contact: 0403 830 373 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit an expression of interest letter along with your resume
Applications close: 5th January 2018
Instructors – Recreation Program
QLD Canoeing is looking to hire casual staff to run our recreation program.
Expressions of interest can be sent to Steven Rowland at email@example.com.
Please email through:
- Evidence of your ACAS canoeing/kayaking qualification (minimum requirement is a Flatwater Guide)
- [if you have a Cert 4 in Outdoor Education with relevant units completed with sufficient recent experience we can help you get your ACAS qualifications]
- Blue Card
- First Aid
- A brief summary of your experience.
- A relevant referee’s name and details.
- We are looking for staff to help fill shifts taking groups on recreational paddles for 2 to 3 hours
- We run programs for Councils, schools and recreation camps
- You will need to be outgoing, friendly and prepared to chat to participants
- You will be required to unload and reload canoes/kayaks, assist with the safety briefing and running the programs
- Applicants must have their own vehicle and preferably be able to tow our trailer
Pay and conditions
- We pay a contractor rate, plus an allowance for travel
- All contractors are required to have an ABN
- If you tow our trailer you will be paid an additional allowance and tolls if applicable
- The minimum shift is 3.0 hours, and shifts up to 10 hours are available
- Guides and Instructors need to abide by Queensland Canoeing code of conduct
- The work is casual; you will be emailed a list of shifts available for the following month
- Short listed applications will be contacted for an interview
- A practical interview may be requested with one of our instructors (possibly assisting on a recreation program)
If you would like to discuss any aspects of the position or to express your interest, please give Steven a call on 3899 1667 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rock Climbing Instructor
Crank Indoor Climbing (MacGregor)
As a rock climbing instructor, you will provide excellent customer service and climbing instruction to all levels of climbers during assigned lesson programming.
Assist members to progress their skills and their fitness.
Monitor rock wall safety of all climber and provide general instruction on techniques in a fun and enthusiastic manner.
- Provide organised climbing instructor in a safe atmosphere
- Explain and demonstrate climbing equipment and hand and feet climbing methods
- Supervise members on wall for safety procedures
- Provide and sell rock wall programs
- Undertake general safety inspection of equipment
- Must have at least 6 months previous outdoor or indoor education training skills with rock climbing
- Applicants must have a minimum Cert IV in Outdoor Recreation or equivalent, together with a current Child Suitability Card and Senior First Aid Certificate
- Be fun and energetic
- Effectively communicate to youth and adults
Please direct all expressions of interest to email@example.com
Go to the Outdoor Jobs Wanted page for a list of people currently available for work
Looking for new staff?
Advertise with us – Submit Your Job Available Ad
Please include your logo and a closing date.