Cable Car Protesters
Protesters suspended off Mount Wellington cliff face in opposition to cable car plans
Posted on 14.05.2018
Two rock-climbers have suspended themselves and a makeshift camp high on a cliff face on Mount Wellington in protest to the cable car proposal.
The protesters are set to stay for two nights on the edge of the rock face near the top of the mountain’s famed Organ Pipes, 1,100 metres above sea level, in a bid to raise awareness of the divisive plan.
The proposal, from the Mount Wellington Cableway Company (MWCC), has faced stiff opposition from conservationists and sectors of the Hobart community since it was announced that preliminary drilling works had been approved days before the state election.
Climber Simon Bischoff told ABC Radio Hobart he had not sought permission to stay on the cliff face at Mount Wellington — which is also known by its Aboriginal name Kunanyi — but there were public huts already on the mountain and he did not believe he needed to.
“We’ve got a ledge here and we’re just going to camp out tonight,” he said.
“There are a lot of different concerns. My main concern is where we’re sitting now is where the cable car’s going to go over from where it’s known as the amphitheatre and I just don’t want to see a cable car go over this piece of cliff here.”
“It’s really special for a lot of people, not just climbers.”
More climbers were expected at the site on Saturday, ahead of a planned rally at the Cascade Gardens on Sunday.
Stunt aims to highlight mountain beauty
The group’s spokesman Phil Stignit said the Organ Pipes site was world-renowned in the rock climbing community, and the stunt was about attracting widespread attention.
“I think people don’t quite realise what a spectacular place it is that we have in our own backyard,” he said.
Have a story to tell or news to share?
Let us know by Submitting a News Story